I grew up with this recipe and at first we made the dough from scratch and then discovered that phyllo can work too!
Write a review
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 3/4 cup Ground Almonds
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Raisins, plumped (soak in warm water and then drain on paper towel to dry)
- 6 cups Apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin (or shred apples)
- 1 pkg. Phyllo, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt a ¼ cup of the butter and combine with breadcrumbs.
- Stir until breadcrumbs are lightly browned, remove from saucepan and cool.
- Prepare 2 x 4 sheets of phyllo, spreading each layer of phyllo with melted butter.
- Sprinkle each set evenly with buttered breadcrumbs, leaving an inch on either side without breadcrumbs, as this will be folded in once the strudel is rolled up.
- In a bowl, mix almonds, sugar, cinnamon, raisins and apples (just before putting on phyllo or the sugar will draw out too much of the liquid from the apples).
- Spread mixture evenly over both sets of phyllo.
- Fold in the 1” sides and roll up strudel from the bottom.
- Place on cookie sheet covered with parchment and repeat.
- Brush strudels with melted butter and bake for 15 to 20 or until golden brown. Cool and slice. Serve with whipped cream, crème fraîche or Liberté lemon yogurt.
- Note: Prepare phyllo sets on a towel for easier rolling up of the strudel.
Seasoned Solutions http://seasonedsolutions.ca/